How I Made My First Korok Stuffed Doll

This isn’t so much a tutorial on how to make a Korok doll as it is a “here’s how I stumbled my way through making a Korok Doll”. The story starts back in 2010. I spent quite a lot of my time in the Army sitting behind a sewing machine repairing parachutes. The work required a lot of skill but could get really boring after awhile. Like most jobs, you get good at it and the monotony sets in. I recall often daydreaming while at work about the other projects I would like to attempt to create with my sewing machine. To be fair, my chain of command did allow me the chance, quite often, to work on unique projects outside of my “official” duty descriptions. But even with those opportunities, I never really felt challenged behind a sewing machine.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I decided it was time to go out and buy myself a brand new sewing machine and tackle some new creative projects. My confidence in my ability, however, was way higher than it should have been. I made a few test pillows at first to knock off the cobwebs in my brain, then I dove right into the Korok Project.

Korok Doll TemplateKorok Doll Template cut out

I began by drawing a template on some construction paper and cutting it out. This step took a few different attempts because I just couldn’t seem to get the proportions correct. Above you see the Template for the Korok body. Face Template for Korok Doll

The above image was what I came up with for the leaf that covers the Korok’s Face. Full disclosure, I did look up a few videos on how to do the templates but I decided to do my own version of the leaf… for better or for worse. Korok Template traced to fabricFabric Comparison

The template is transferred to my material, which in this case was very nice beige fleece. I was in uncharted territory here. This material was so nice to work with and nothing like the silky smooth nylon material that parachutes are made from. Cutting this stuff is the most relaxing thing I think I’ve done in the past ten years. Pinning the Fabric together

If you have ever made a pillow, maybe in home economics class (is that still a thing? Age Test) then you know what’s going on here. You take your front and back cuts and face them with the inside pointing out. Pin everything together so nothing moves out of place.  You do this so that after you sew the seam together and flip it inside out, the seam is on the inside. Fabric sewn togetherOpening for stuffing cotton

Typically you should leave a small opening from which you can flip your project inside out. I knew that I was going to make an incision on the face area so I decided to sew the seem complete.


Once I finally got a look at the project flipped inside out I immediately noticed my first mistake. I guided the Sew line just a bit off course around the legs and it altered my design from my original template. This is likely something no one would notice so I let it be for now.


Probably the most satisfying bit, stuffing! I made my incision on the face and fraught the form to life with a generous amount of cotton stuffing. I closed the incision with what I believe is a slip stitch, though I may be wrong.

Korok tail

Korok tail sewn on Korok body

The Korok has a little tail that I had to create out of a piece of scrap fabric. This was basically a rounded off triangle folded in on itself and stitched together. Now for the second mistake. I did not have any beige thread and was too impatient to put the project on hold so I decided I could live with using black thread. Sue me. 20190310_13133120190310_13205820190310_13420620190310_155325

I repeated all of the same steps to create the face of the Korok with a few exceptions. I used two different color fabrics to create a Two-Tone effect on the leaf. I wanted this to have a certain look so I stop just short of calling this a mistake (apart from using black thread), but if I’m being honest, I would do this whole section over again. I didn’t like the way this looked and will do things differently next time.

Completed Korok Face

The nose was created just like the tail and I opted to use buttons for eyes. This is likely because I happened to have the movie Coraline playing in the background and I was influenced. Next attempt will not include buttons… maybe…

With that done, it was time to attach the face to the body.

Completed Korok Stuffed Doll

Ta-da! (Sparkles Fly).

This was a learning experience and I had fun for sure. I have my design notes for the next one already planned so hopefully, the next Korok doll looks a bit more polished by the end.

Thanks for your time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s